2 Sept 2015

Nabi vol.17 Preview - The meaning of the manhwa title.



Hi everyone,

I want to summarize vol.17 for you guys right away, but the thing is I don't understand half of it. You think after that whole alternative universe confusion, the main story line would become clear now? Nope. Vol.17 just creates more puzzles. Well, we all know how Kim Yeon-joo's stories are, you can't get them volume by volume but you need the whole story to understand something in vol.1. That's why I'll wait for vol.18 with hope that it'll make things clearer, so I can do summaries on vol.17 properly. Only 2 more days, vol.18 is scheduled on Sep 4th, please be patient folks. I promise it'll be as soon as possible.

One more *small* thing, there are quite a number of people reading this blog, but very few are nice enough to show me their ideas/support via comments. It's quite discouraged for me to keep going on. Having all silent readers is never a pleasure guys.

Okay so here what I can tell about vol.17 at the moment:



Part 1 - Chap 32: Reverie.
Same as the title, it mentions everyone's dreams, some small, some big. It reveals that So-ryu drinks poison to commit suicide. because she's desperate in a world where no one loves her and she'll soon become a mere soul, a non-existence. To a point she says that her world now is a quite one, where there's no Myo-un's vengeance, Ryu Sang's anger, Isana's rejection, and Ha-rim's denial. "No such things exist in this world."

Part 2 - Chap 33: Heaven.
This chap is from Myo-un's point of view. As posted in Nabi vol.17 spoiler, Ryu Sang's very sweet to her. Seong is very nice to Ah-ru, while Seong's Shan clan and Ah-ru's Dal clan are supposed to be sworn enemies. Everything seems too nice. Then Myo-un has a dream that she kills So-ryu (in the bamboo forest). She wonders and recalls about a lot of things, it even shows a grown-up Hong Ha-young. Seems like she comes to understand something and thinks "So that was it...".

The last few pages:
It's everyone, Myo-un, grown-up Ha-young, Ryu Sang, Ha-rim, Isana, and So-ryu, watching the sky as a lot of airships flying around. A story is told, it's Zhuangzi's butterfly dream - a very famous philosophical story. And the last line is "It's only a dream. But even you wake up, it's not so easy to get out."

****

Now you understand my frustration. Things are so ambiguous, just pieces and pieces, not the whole picture yet. Vol.18 better clear it up T_T

Still, at least it answers one question that I've had for ever: Why was this manhwa named "Nabi" (Butterfly)? It came from the philosophical story and the question: "whether then I was a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether now I am a butterfly dreaming I am a man". Well I suppose we will know at the end, that this story is real or some kind of dream, and if so, whose dream it is.


Hope to see you guys in 2 days xD
Jessie.

11 comments:

  1. Oh my, nabi never cease to make us confuse and intrigued. Will wait nicely for 4th september (:
    Thanks for your info Jessie ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. once again thanks again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Found this web site via Batoto. Thanks so much for creating it and providing summaries!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just found this site - thank you so much for all summaries:)
    About title - i also remeber that Myo-un was talking something about becoming a butterfly (vol. 9 or 10 probably).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes she said something like "Why do people turn into insects after they die? Why not a beautiful butterfly or ladybug?". Thanks for reminding me ^-^

      Delete
  5. Thank everyone for your responses. I truly appreciate it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for this blog! I love nabi as well...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can anyone please tell me from which chapter are those pictures from? (right part) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You mean the right column of this blog? "Lovely Moments"? I collected them whenever I see one so I can't tell which chapter, but one is from Nabi The Prototype, the 1st one when they were kids is from an early volume, vol.2 or 3; and the last one is from vol.13. ^^

      Delete
  8. Hi do you have any idea why mangapark havent update nabi since march 2016.
    Is kim yeon joo on a hiatus or there are not enough translator

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a feeling it could be Myo-un dreaming when she was in a coma during her recovery as a child...because why did the person who could see dreaming Syo-ru change?...it could be Syo-ru taking Myo-un to alternate timelines in order to find one to make it up to her for ruining her family, to find a timeline where she is happy and to help fulfil it in reality...oh well, that'd be interesting...will we ever know how this turns out, this site seems to be abandoned :(

    ReplyDelete